The GA5 Volleyball Board of Directors consist of coaches, former players, and parents of players with experience in other junior volleyball programs. Our Board provides guidance to our club and has a wealth of experience to draw from.
The Board and the Club Directors work in a joint effort to ensure current and future success and the desired operational outcomes.
Club officers and board members:
April Carroll, Director/Recruiting Coordinatorcoachaprilga5@gmail.com | Download bio
April Carroll obtained her Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry from Norfolk State University graduating magna cum laude and earned her Masters of Science degree in Chemistry from Loyola University Chicago graduating summa cum laude. When she moved to Georgia, she continued her education by obtaining a Regulatory Affairs Certicate from the University of Georgia. She has been in the animal, cosmetic or the biologics pharmaceutical industry for seventeen years.
April has been playing volleyball for over twenty years. During college, her hard work provided her the honor of being named Female Athlete of the Year and was presented the award by Mike Tirico from ESPN. Along with other awards, she was named MVP for 2 consecutive years and on the All-Academic team during her entire volleyball tenure.
During her seventeen years of coaching, April has trained numerous athletes to play at the next level including Marquette, University of Kentucky, University of Miami, Ohio University and the University of Cincinnati.
In between coaching and playing, Coach April still finds the time to be the offical scorekeeper for Kennesaw State University and Georgia Tech University.
Michael Fletcher, Executive Directormichael@a5volleyball.com
Michael has been involved with A5 since its inception in 2005 – first as a parent; then as a volunteer, followed by a Board Member, and culminating in his appointment as Executive Director in 2008. Since assuming the helm of A5, he has overseen a tripling of the Club’s size, including the creation of sister clubs GA5 and A5 South. He put his background in real estate development to work by developing Southern Volleyball Center and Peachtree Volleyball Center, the Club’s primary training facilities. Moreover, he has helped A5 blossom into one of the Nation’s elite volleyball clubs, earning recognition by AVCA as runner-up for 2016 Club Director of the year.
Says Fletcher, “I view myself as an enabler, helping to create a vision and an environment in which our staff of unbelievable coaches can do what they do best – teach our gifted athletes how to compete at the highest levels. While I am proud of what the Club has accomplished to date, we are still hungry because we know that we can do so much more."
A 1975 graduate of West Point, Michael earned a Master's Degree from Stanford University upon the completion of his military service in 1981. His pre-volleyball career was in commercial real estate development.
Kurt Matthews, Recruiting Coordinatorkurtmatthews@southernvolleyball.com
Cindy Young, Board Member (12s and 13s)email@example.com
- Director of Volleyball, Suwanee Sports Academy (2008-Present)
- Assistant Coach at the University of Tennessee (2003-2006)
- Helped guide the UT Lady Vols to the 2005 Final Four and 2004 SEC Conference Championship
- Coached middle blockers at UT, including Sarah Blum, all-time career blocks leader at UT
- Assistant Coach at the University of Georgia (1996-2001)
- Coached 6 All-Americans, 13 All-SEC selections, & 1 member of the US National Team
- Head Coach at Athens Academy, led team to a 2002 State Championship
- Named 2002 Georgia High School Association Coach of the Year
- Outside Hitter at the University of Georgia (1991-1994), compiling overall record of 79-24
- Bachelor's Degree in Exercise & Sport Science, University of Georgia, 1996
- Master’s Degree in Sport Management, University of Georgia, 2002